In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Cornish Historical Society

Station Bridge between Cornish and West Baldwin

Contributed by Cornish Historical Society
MMN Item 7225 Item Details
Station Bridge between Cornish and West Baldwin
MMN Item 7225 Zoom

Description

Covered bridge, built in 1898 over the Saco River, between Cornish and West Baldwin. In the view, Cornish is on the left and West Baldwin on the right. This wooden bridge replaced the “Hemlock” Bridge that was about a quarter of a mile below it (south).

The Hemlock Bridge was taken out in the flood of spring 1898. Most of the debris ended up on the dam at Steep Falls. The railroad station was on the West Baldwin side, just upriver. It was known as Cornish Station even though it was in West Baldwin. The bridge is known as the Station Bridge.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.