In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Cornish Historical Society

Warren's Bridge between Cornish and South Hiram prior to 1929

Contributed by Cornish Historical Society
MMN Item 7243 Item Details
Warren's Bridge between Cornish and South Hiram prior to 1929
MMN Item 7243 Zoom

Description

This is a copy of a plate from a book written by Sherman Grant Bonney. "Calvin Fairbanks Bonney, Harriet Cheney Bonney: A Tribute" Limited Edition published in 1930 by The Rumford Press, Concord, NH. The plate faces p.143.

Warren's bridge is named for Colonel Joseph Warren. He owned a grist mill on a pond just to the left of this picture. The mill was originally built by Theophilus Smith, Jr. and later sold to Colonel Warren. The bridge spans the Ossipee River between Cornish and South Hiram. In the picture, you are looking towards South Hiram. Bonney Meadows is on the right just before crossing the river. The meadows are named for Dr. Calvin Bonney, who endowed the town library. This bridge is further west from the curved bridge, also over the Ossipee.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.